Our HospitalParkwynd Private Hospital has retained the name ‘Parkwynd’ from the Victorian house which was formerly occupied by the Toms family.
The hospital has a long history of providing the highest standard of healthcare to Adelaide residents.
Parkwynd Private Hospital was opened 26 May 1915 by Miss Emily Constance Fry and Miss Jessie Margaret Sinclair and was a grand affair for Adelaide with the media reporting:
“Misses Sinclair and Fry of Adelaide Children’s Hospital have acquired a lease of Parkwynd, the spacious house, formerly occupied by Mrs. Samuel Toms, and have opened a private hospital for the reception of medical, surgical and midwifery!“
“On Wednesday afternoon, 26 May 1915, a large number of people accepted the invitation to view the beautifully appointed rooms.”
“The house lends itself for the purpose and the greatest forethought is evident in every department. The airy wards, their harmonious colour schemes, spotless beds, comfy lounges and easy chairs, suggested that it might be a pleasure to be ill amid such surroundings."
"The operating theatre is admirably appointed, and at the first shudder of the mysterious looking appliances, one realises that here everything is right up to date. Flowers were everywhere, in the wards and offices and in the spacious side veranda and after viewing the various rooms we had a dainty afternoon tea at little tables scattered around the lawn and veranda.”
The progression of the hospital in the early days was thanks to the strong, dedicated Matrons that managed the hospital through two World Wars and some of the darkest times for Australia.
The first Matron of Parkwynd was Miss Jessie Margaret Sinclair (founder) who undertook the role from 1915 – 1932.
From 1932 Sister Laura Jenkins, who had previously been a Nurse in the Australian Army and saw active service in Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt and France before returning to Australia, took the position as Matron at Parkwynd.
Throughout the years the hospital has gone from strength to strength with Parkwynd first achieving accreditation with Australian Council of Healthcare Standards (ACHS) in 1992. Healthscope purchased Parkwynd in 1994 and Parkwynd continues to provide personalised, professional healthcare to the South Australian community.
Today the hospital has 23 patient beds and a 13 chair Day Surgery Unit and three operating theatres. Our collaborative team of Specialists, Nurses and support staff are committed to ensuring our patients experience quality healthcare with a focus on patient-centred care.